Saturday, May 1, 2010

Snakes in Our Back Yard

While I was putting my garden to bed for the summer I needed some heavy stones to hold the plastic covering down. I threw all the large and small stones in a rough pile around the banana trees when developing my vegetable patch. Yesterday while retreaving some of the same stones I was surprised to find a pigmy rattler under one of the stones. After removing it to the lawn I called Theresa to see my new thing of interest.

Theresa hates snakes and I thought if she could see this little fellow it would help her to be more receptive to one of natures little creatures. She with hesitation observed it from a distance. It was small being about 14 inches at most. A very fragile snake with a particular head. Instead of being covered with numerous scales it has 9 distinct plates. Not exactly harmless but with less clout as its larger relatives they are found throughout the southern part of the USA.

On returning it to its home area I saw another one and knew that sometime in the future there could be a whole family. For me the snakes do much good in eating up harmful bugs which live on my vegetables. These are shy creatures and are seldom seen and retreat quickly when confronted.

There are so many new forms of life here in Florida and I find something interesting nearly every day. With the temperature over the 90 degree mark we are happy to be returning to Ontario for a cooling off period. In a few days we will be back with our family and friends and will be enjoying the changes in the grand children and children as well. Six months is a long time away but we love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...