Thursday, May 6, 2010

Home For A While

Our trip home was a fast one taking the best part of 25 hours to cover 2500 Kms. My passengers complained about having to wake up at 2 am to get on our way at 3 am. It was a beautiful morning and as the sun rose at 6:45 we were passing through horse country in Ocala and this brought my sleepy passengers to a quick wake up. Hundreds of horses living in conditions many humans would love to have gave us an appreciation for how these animals are pampered.

We passed through Georgia and covered the 500 miles without incident. As we reached Tennessee we saw the high water and although we never passed directly through the worst flooding we could see just how bad it must have been.

We looked for animals along the way and saw many deer, mostly dead along the roadside. Many states do not have the deer fencing required to keep them off the highways. At 6.15 we decided to stop for the night having covered 1500 kms. I was a little tired after 15 hours behind the wheel but decided to leave at 6 am to arrive home at around 5 pm. The border crossing was simple and fast and we sped down the QEW to get home to a beautiful sight, Home. The dandelions had their way and provided a splendid colour show but all the fruit trees were over their best and the other spring flowers were finished. Only the lilacs and a few tulips showed any sign of order so I knew what was on the agenda for tomorrow.

My oldest daughter prepared a great supper for us and filled the fridge. This is a ritual we look forward to each time we come back home. We sat for a while , nursing a drink and quietly drifted off to near sleep when the phone rang and my oldest grand child informed me her lemon tree had indeed grown four lemons and she had to tell me this as I thought that the tree would be Baron. I gave her the seed about 25 years ago and finally it came to life.I was proud of her for believing her tree would someday bear fruit.

Getting to bed a little early Theresa and I were thankful for the safe passage and to once again be home among our family and friends.We love our life in Florida and we love to come home to our house and Ontario lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...