Thursday, May 20, 2010

Ma Bell

Last eve I was in a frame of mind to get in touch with some of my old friends in the Valley. I try to keep in touch with special people often enough to remind them that I still cherish their friendship. I communicate by phone as often as I can and have a list to make sure that I do my duty and pick up the phone. It seems a one way street as many of my friends never call me so I keep the door open and derive comfort from conversing with them.

While talking to the wife of one of very best friends last evening she mentioned that her daughter reads my blog. That thought triggered my memory and I realized that one of the personal rewards of communicating is the re-awakening of fond moments of the past and this enriches our life.

That thought in mind gave me the opportunity of remembering this little red head and her bundle of energy as she burst through our back door yelling for my two daughters. She also had a fun time with my younger son. Miss L was one of these kids that was a perfect example of both parents. Her impish behaviour was like her dad and her cool control was like her mom. She was like a family member and travelled with us on occasion and fitted in very well. I always liked red hair and called her Little Red and her mom Big Red. I do not think Big Red appreciated the nickname but she got it anyway.

Every year about this time the kids would climb up on our garage roof and get a head start on their summer tan. Their time there with conversations and laughter made me smile because I did a similar thing when ,I was a young boy. Little Red became a teacher and a good one I am sure but her best gift will be to her children who will benefit from her being a good parent.

One of the things I am thankful for in life is the fact that my children had wonderful friends. If your children hang out with good kids there is a strong feeling that they will do well. Little Red was one of those kids and I am thankful for knowing her and her family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...