Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

In our home Mother's Day was a big event. It was the one day when we all had a chance to treat our mom special because she was. As the mother of nine children she managed to perform miracles. Managing a meager budget, cooking, sewing,hand washing and just being a Mom makes all of us to shake our heads when we think of how she did what she did. Lets just say that we all all talk of her now in terms she deserved at the time.

One particular Mother's day I remember very well because it underscores what was great being brought up in a large family. This Sunday started off like all Sundays because getting ready for church was a challenge. Finding your best clothes for this day and shoes to be shined at the last minute was a task. My Mom had to get the little ones ready, referee the activities of the boys, getting her hat just right by harvesting ornaments from other hats and a veil from another all took time.

Church was at 11 am and the first bell was at 10.45 am. Mom was anxious for all of us to be on time. My older brother Murray went early as he was a usher and took up the collection. He also used to be given a chance to help ring the huge bell by pulling on a rope in the entrance way, Dad said he would stay at home and Mom never pressured him as he was busy with work in the barn.

Mom snapped orders and we all left to go to church. The last thing was to pin on the flowers. On mothers day we wore a red flower if your mom was alive and a white one if she passed on. All of us wore red , even mom as her mother was alive also. We walked up the lane in several rows past all our relatives homes on Vickers Lane. It was a half mile walk and we boys managed to get in some mischief on the way. It was tempting to throw a stone at the Jubilee or jump a mud puddle but we arrived on time.

Before entering the church Mom gave us strict instructions about behaviour. We entered the church and moved to our pews at the front, left side and Mrs. Francis was in our seat. We managed and everyone looked so good with their flowers and fancy hats. I was proud of my Mom and thought she looked beautiful with her newly arranged hat .

Service was over with special emphasis on mothers and as I recall Rev. J W O'Brion's words rang true to me as he praised motherhood. I was about 11 years old and I clearly remember his words even today. It was that day I really understood what a mother was. I looked at her a little differently and appreciated what she represented after that day. No one would recognize the difference in me but I was moved.

We walked home and when we got close to home we ran and entered our home to the aroma of a cooked dinner. Dad prepared dinner for us and my mom was so surprised.My parents rarely showed affection but that day Dad was telling her by his actions that he loved her. It was special because not a word was spoken but that quiet smile told a whole story.

After dinner we children went down to the pond woods and picked May Flowers for Mom.That day will always be special for me. I was very happy.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful story, Thanks for sharing :)
    wcn

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...