Friday, May 7, 2010

Remembering My Students

Being an educator for over 35 years gave me the experience of meeting and impacting the lives of many. At my age I realize that the impacting goes both ways. The students who interacted with me gave me the great gift of knowing them and being able to have the joy of change which resulted in this union. Today I was sad to hear about one of my students who found life so unbearable he took his life.

Knowing this lad from a very young age and seeing the spark in his eyes as he smiled knowing he was up to some mischief came to mind. He was a friend of most of my children and close with two of them. We never seem to be able to see the pain hidden in the mind of even close associates. Depression is a hidden killer and if treated in a timely fashion people are able to cope and even excel at life. Many noted people are coming forth to tell their story of dealing with depression. This lad was not the first of my students nor will he be the last to lose out to depression.

It is common for our closest friends to be afflicted with some condition and we never feel comfortable about seeking help as we feel it would ruin the relationship. We must be vigilent and bold when it comes to protecting and helping those we love.

At this time of the year I frequently think back to the graduations and the achievements of those students who will never leave my mind. Their names are as fresh today as they were when you looked at this student and just knew they were going to succeed. There were the ones who made you proud because they succeeded with a tremendous effort and against many odds. The athletes and the bright singers and achievers in fields not just academic. And there were students who gave you so much that you will always remember them and in my case named some of my children after them. It is always a wake up call when you read in the paper something that reminds you that once you related to those students.

I was reminded that one of my young associates just returned from the war where he fought along with his son. He was making a dream come true as he was the son of a fallen airman and he wanted to experience his dad's life. So remembering the young people you knew makes us realize how much we are of what we were given by them. I treasure the memory of all my students and laugh and cry at their joy and sorrow. Today I am sad.

1 comment:

  1. Yes! We are touched deeply by our students' lives and circumstances, and feel a deep sense of loss when their lives comes to an unhappy ending.

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...