Monday, August 10, 2009

Why Wait?

In the last eight weeks I lost a brother and a brother-in -law. In the emotional days following, there was an outpouring of love and friendship that was absolutely incredible. Brothers and sisters phoned and friends appeared out of nowhere. Family came together and we all had a great family hug.

How sad that it is death that brings together family who really love and are concerned about each other, but somehow let other things get in the way of that letter, telephone call or email. I am a person who tries to communicate. I have phoned some members of my family over the last 50 years and never received a phone call back. I make an effort to keep the lines open but I sometimes get a response that is so pitiful, that I could get angry. However I refuse - because the people who do not respond really are the losers. Hearing the voice of that family member gives me great satisfaction and makes it all worth while.

Why do we allow opportunities to escape and moments to be lost by not keeping in touch? This sounds like a rant - and it is - as I have been frustrated for years with the folks who sit back and come out of the woodwork at weddings and funerals. I am dedicated to trying to be a facilitator and communicator so our family and friends are in the loop. How great it is to hear of a new baby, a promotion, a birthday, or just a hello.

Tonight I feel lonesome for the people who are my family and friends but are invisible. We can do better and I will try to help ...

4 comments:

  1. I can relate to this quite a bit. I have a huge family, and it's sometimes difficult to stay up-to-date with them. More often than not I find myself wishing there were a way to get us all together for something other than a funeral, but it seems as though these days, that's about the only thing that can put us all in the same room. It's sad, really. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I applaud you and I agree wholeheartedly! Life is far too short to miss the opportunity to connect while we can. Being geographically separated from both sides of our family, I cannot justify the expense of attending funerals. However, I willing pay the expense to meet and enjoy family when they are alive to share the experience. Over the past few years we had a desire to meet all of our "near extended" family, we risked putting our toes in the water, we were thrilled to be successful to the extent possible and now we too will endeavour to keep in regular contact.
    A good message for all :)
    wcn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Henry,
    Your blog touched me deeply - as I know, through your wonderful daughter Lyn, that you have been the faithful one in keeping in touch with everyone (family/extended family, etc.) Don't focus on the negative, but focus on the positive -- YOU are always opening the door, it's up to all of us to take the continued steps.

    All the best,
    Shirl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, thanks for finding me. Your thoughtful post today will touch all of our hearts. We all have these problems in our lives.

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...