Sunday, September 27, 2009

Happy in My Skin

When I retired 20 years ago I said that I never had a bad day in education but some days, bad things happened. In reality that is pretty much the way my life has been. Most people can be characterized by others as a happy, grumpy, negative, upbeat or just plain miserable. One word never accurately describes a person but one word will give a nickname that often sticks.

When we analyze ourselves we probably are way off the perception others have of us. An often quoted phrase, "If only we could see ourselves as others do" applies to my comments. We mostly see ourselves the way we wish others see us. Over the years I have had to talk to teachers about their demeanor. Students would complain about their teachers saying such things as they are mean, cross, unfriendly and a hundred other words to describe their perception of their teacher.

When confronted with this message the teachers are amazed that any student could feel that way because that is not how I really am. One simple answer to this is nonverbal communication. Teachers must constantly be aware of the picture they are painting to their students.

Likewise we as people have to be aware of the same thing in our interaction with each other. You know that morning smile or grouchy welcome means much to the ones we love. It is said that your eyes are the window to the soul so speak with your eyes and be aware of the feelings you give off every time you see, speak or interact with others.

I see myself as a happy, joyful person who is excited about nearly everything. My children sometimes told me otherwise. I have been more aware of this aspect in my communications with my fellow man over the past years and it does work. One day my daughter told me that as I get older I am more likable. That is a start.

In any case I feel happy and comfortable in my skin.

3 comments:

  1. You are so right on this topic. Glad to know you are more likable now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like you just the way you are! But you are definitely more sensitive and communicative as you evolve (notice I didn't say age)!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are most definitely likeable and absolutely interesting! I'm glad that we met.
    wcn

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...