Tuesday, September 8, 2009

First Day of School

For over 50 years of my life I was excited because it was the first day of school. As a 5 year old I was taken to school by my sister Jeannie who was smaller than I, but clearly the boss, as she was 14 months older. I did not want to go to school and kicked up quite a fuss so my mom decided to bribe me with several of those small bananas which she kept in the sideboard drawer for a Sunday special treat. This was during the war and bananas were a scarce commodity.

Off we went to meet the world with my two bananas tucked in my pants pocket. I was delivered to my grade one teacher or rather, pushed through the door. The teacher was a tall beautiful lady wearing a grey suit with a artificial flower pinned to her left shoulder. She smiled and led me to a desk at the front of the class. My seatmate was a cute girl but I wanted no part of sitting with a girl. Once I got this settled we began our day.

Exercises -- you know-- stand and flex your arms high and sidewards etc. I thought at this time that school was not that bad. However I had to go to the bathroom. I put up my hand and asked if I could go to the outhouse as we had outside plumbing at home at that time.

Miss came to my rescue and took me by the hand to the door. It was strange holding a lady's hand like that but I didn't mind. She pointed to the end of the hall and told me to go down stairs and turn left. "You will find the bathroom there."

But my bananas were in my desk. Were they safe or should I take them with me? They were my recess treat. Miss assured me that they were safe and told me to go. I ran to the top of the stairs and down to what should have been the bathroom.

I looked and almost had to hold myself as I was so desperate when the janitor, old Mr. Johnson, came and guided me to the boys toilet. Wow, I never saw a toilet like this. A long trough, a little too high, but the janitor told me that is where I had to do my business. I did and went out and up the stairs. Where was my classroom? I was lost and started to panic.. I saw a classroom door and entered. I started to look in desks for my bananas and was startled when a stern, mean lady who was also the principal grabbed me and yanked me to the hallway. She questioned me and all I could say was that I was looking for my bananas. By this time my teacher realized that I was missing and came out to have a look. She rescued me from that women and took me back to class. I entered the class and everyone stared and laughed at me. I wanted to die but not before I checked to see if my prized bananas were still there, safe.

I managed to get through the morning and at recess I ate the two small bananas. School was not too bad at all. In fact it was so good that during the next fifty years I looked forward to the first day of school.

1 comment:

Ï'm interested in what you think ...