Friday, September 18, 2009

Composting


I have been a composter for as long as I can remember.For the past 10 years I have increased my capacity to produce my own compost by means of four black composters and an open compost box. This method gives me at least ten wheelbarrows of clean ,black material which I convert to garden and lawn.I started with one plastic composter when our city gave them out for a few dollars.My neighbours discarded these from year to year because they were non-productive, dirty,attracted animals and smelly.


I took their boxes and turned them into great earth producers. Worms abound in the compost and add to the value of the product. I do have raccoons visit my composters and have a meal but I gladly share the table scraps with my furry friends. I have found that a couple of procedures make good composting better. First I place leaves,grass clippings and garden waste after making sure there is no material which will not break down in a year reaches the composter. Those materials I place in the open composter. I water frequently and mix up the contents when possible. Weeds are relegated to the open composter and begin a three year process. This assures that the seeds from weeds are dead. I empty my composter in the spring and sometimes in the fall.



Composted material by itself does not make ideal growing soil as it is recommended that a ratio of not more than 60 : 40 soil to compost be used.I prefer a lower ratio for root crops but it doesn't matter when used for trees or lawns.



Our city gives every citizen the opportunity to take up to 7 bags of free compost from the landfill site twice a year. This compost is excellent as it is monitored by the Dept. of Agriculture as to its value. Theresa and I were up there this morning and for a small donation of food for the food bank we gleaned about 1000 lbs of compost. A report every year tell us of the amount of diverted organic material recycled and it is impressive.This is an excellent project and is encouraged across Ontario.



We have our compost so I have to get to work to put it to use and I work happily when I think of what we are doing for mother earth.

1 comment:

  1. O.k., this is encouraging for me. I have one, closed container that fills easily in the summer with leftover plant material and kitchen scraps. Now and then, the scurry animals that end up in there scare me; at that time, I want to abandon the whole thing.

    I didn't know what to do with weeds; now I know. Thanks.

    p.s. Do you turn the stuff in the closed containers?

    p.p.s. I just found out Lyn of Soul Snax is your daughter. You must be a very proud father.

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...