Saturday, September 12, 2009

Cutting Down a Friend


A tree is just a tree - unless it is my peach tree which was finally put to rest this week. A small four foot sapling to begin with and $8 at the end of year sale at the local green house. When I planted it I was worried that it would not survive the winter. Survive it did and come spring it grew way beyond my expectations. In the month of May a few buds produced small flowers which turned out to become peaches.

A dozen beautiful peaches made up the crop for the first year but the real prize was the amount of growth in the second year. It stretched to eight feet and branched out in a nice pattern which promised better days ahead.For two years the story was repeated, much fruit and prolific growth. On the fifth year we could not believe the amount of blossoms and size the tree reached.

On a cool night in one July we were awake watching a lightning storm blow in from the lake and the rain started. We were amazed at the violence of the wind and rain and I feared the worst for our fruit trees. All of a sudden we heard that terrible sound of one of our trees being split asunder.

I jumped to the window but was greeted by a sight I did not wish as our beautiful peach tree, laden with too many fruit split in two parts and fell to the ground. I returned to bed giving Theresa the sad news and had a troubled sleep. A little after daybreak I arose and went out to view the tree.

It split exactly in two. I cut one part of the tree and the other sprang upright. I was about to finish the job but I somehow felt that this tree had a will to live. I left it and that year we received a wonderful crop of Red Haven Peaches. For four more years the result was the same. This year after a gallant effort the tree gave a crop that was superb but the bark separated from the trunk and after we picked the fruit I decided to replace our peach tree.

Theresa and her Mom went to the clinic for their regular yearly blood tests and I went to the back yard with my tools of destruction on hand. As I cut this tree down I felt badly so I erased it from our yard before the girls came home. It was a good tree and we will miss the Red Havens next year at this time. I am a pantheist and felt close to this special tree given on our first anniversary by my elderly mother in law.

I have a friend Doug who loves trees as much as I do and knows more about them than I do and I am sure he would feel as I do at the loss of a tree friend.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, she is finally laid to rest is she ...
    She doesn't owe us anything ...
    But she was generous, giving and fruitful in her time.
    So she will be missed, but I am sure if you check your pantry, you will find some offspring preserves.
    :{ I always feel bad about losing trees as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must have felt terrible, after all those years watching its growth. I planted a small peach tree this year and will watch it and nurture it, and hopefully, I get to watch it bear fruit one of these days.

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...