Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Musings of Cape Breton

Having lived less than a quarter of my life in Cape Breton I suppose that I am presumptive in calling myself a Caper.I do have deep feelings for the place and when I am asked from where I came my reply is given without hesitation that I am a Caper.To qualify for this distinction you must be born here or lived here for a time.It is a charming place and has much to offer folks who choose to live and die here.

Theresa and I are staying at a good hotel in Sydney and she told the lady who was making our bed that she had bad allergies. The lady stated she too had allergies and she would go and get her some Advil allergy medication. Where else would this happen. We have had similar expressions of hospitality and it takes you by surprise.In busy and detached communities we rarely have time for the niceties which are part of the Cape Breton culture.

As we wander through the days without an agenda, the slow pace of life becomes a point of envy. People here are very good at doing nothing with a purpose, and enjoying the simple tasks of life that to we in the fast lane, would call boring. I don't suppose I could ever get used to this way of life on a long range term, but it sure feels good for a short time. Vacations are designed to charge those lifesaving batteries and Cape Breton is the place to start the process.

We will get together with family and friends today after the burial of the ashes of my brother who wished to be buried Down Home, and find our way over the Road to the Isle - and quietly slip away to our other life. Who is to say which life is better? They both have their merits.

2 comments:

  1. Love the picture Polar Bear. Hope it all went well today. It's not always easy to go back -- as often the best memories live only in our minds and cease to exist anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...