Friday, August 28, 2009

Africa

Africa is a place that dreams are made of and the many stimuli we have used to make a mythical picture comes short of the real thing. My daughter and grand daughter are going to Africa next summer and wish to include me in their plans. I wish to go with them but my wife would not consider the journey. Theresa is adventurous but Africa is not on her agenda.

Free the Children sponsor these trips which permit people like me , who have supported the program to be immersed in the actual activities on the ground. You see first hand the work of building schools and support infrastructure for children in Africa and elsewhere. I am torn between the cost for me to have a dream fulfilled, against a adventure involving both of us.

In recent years Theresa and I have been more aware of the needs in far off countries where a little help can make a vast difference in the life of many. I share this view with family members who are well aware of this calling. My grand daughter has been involved in building a school in Costa Rica whereby she and classmates funded the project and went to Costa Rica and actually help build the school.They built more than a school as their involvement built a strong sense of commitment to helping the less fortunate and built a bridge of trust between themselves and their off shore friends.

To travel to Africa would be something of a rare opportunity for three generations of our family to participate in this worthy cause. The bonus would be to photograph the fauna and flora of the great plains and to smell the Africa we so many times saw depicted by Hollywood. The next few days will be difficult for me to decide, and right now I almost talked myself in taking the plunge and saying yes.

3 comments:

  1. As I've told Lyn on her blog, this sounds like the trip of a lifetime. I can't imagine what a wonderful experience it would be to be able to witness the place and the good that's being done there first hand. I don't presume to know what a tremendous decision it would be to go without Theresa, but I have a hunch that she'd support you if this is a dream of yours. And I have to say...go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing else puts you in touch with the world as traveling to these places. Good for you. I'm jealous.

    A cautionary comment: a blog friend went to Africa a few months ago, and she is still suffering from some bug she picked up there.

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...