Monday, August 24, 2009

Home Again

Arriving at my door after 10 hours of driving gave me a that satisfying feeling of being home again. Thoughts of sleeping in my own bed and being around familiar creature comforts like my big leather chair quickly changed to near panic as I saw the condition of my yard. Grass overgrown, tomatoes ready to be picked and made into spaghetti sauce, peaches clinging to the tree but really ripe, and weeds which went unchecked for a while boldly stood as high and straight as the beets and carrots.

It was supper time so we managed to put together a sandwich made from fresh bread and just picked tomatoes. My daughter always stocks up necessary items like milk, bread and cheese and she did not fail one more time. We lingered over the small lunch and put off doing anything else except unpacking and a quick assessment of tomorrow's work.

Our longer than usual trip down home satisfied our need to connect with family and friends but left us drained emotionally. We did all we set out to do and more so were happy to be home. During our expedition we attended a teachers reunion, discovered the Gaspe, buried a brother, enjoyed a family get together, visited a long-time friend in Pictou and gathered up our mother in law at Sussex and drive home.

Today I picked tomatoes, beans, cut the lawn and caught up on the 135 emails. There really was no need to panic at the work as a few hours and our place looked great. It is like life - there seems to be large issues to face but when you get to the solution, you realize that the issue was mostly in our own minds. Face issues head on and see how quickly they disappear and the solution usually opens doors to free you of your anxiety.

Today I am privileged to have such a rewarding support group of relatives, family and friends. Each has a special role in my life and I value each for their uniqueness and ability to add something to my overall well being. I pity the person who has no family, no real friend nor special one to complete their life.

2 comments:

  1. What would our lives be without family and good friends?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey - how come Buck is getting his picture posted on here twice? I am starting to think that he is your favourite!

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...