Saturday, August 29, 2009

Peach Time

Every year I have to make a decision which is difficult because of a struggling Peach Tree. Six years ago we had a bumper crop of peaches and they were ready to be picked but I put it off one more day. Usually the raccoons tell me it is time to pick the luscious fruit but that year I never heard or saw a coon near the tree.

We went to bed confident in the fact that tomorrow would be peach day. After midnight a storm blew into my neighbourhood and the rain came down in torrents. I jumped out of bed, in reality I crawled out of bed and made my way to close the window. It was too late to avoid all the rain but the sound I heard quickly made me wake up. A loud snap and crash as my peach tree burdened with the extra weight from the rain split my beloved tree in two.

As I looked out of the window I saw the peach tree in a crumpled mess. I decided to go back to bed and deal with the mess in the morning. I awoke early and confronted the poor tree lying on its side with the fruit in disarray. I carefully cut one half of the tree and the other half sprung to its original place.

I picked the peaches and looked to assess the damage. I felt I should cut it all down but seeing the strength shown by the other half I decided to give it a chance. That was six years ago and every year I get a good crop of peaches. Every year I feel it will not make it through the cold winter but every spring it is covered with beautiful blossoms. How could I cut it down?

Theresa and I plucked the fruit this year and looked at the joint of the tree so damaged that again I feel I should cut it down. After considerable discussion we decided to wait another year.

In the meantime Theresa made the best peach crisp and tomorrow we are having a birthday for Doris who will be 92 and we shall have more of the same. How could I end the life of this tree given to us as an anniversary gift by Doris on her b'day?

Our peach tree will live one more year.

1 comment:

Ï'm interested in what you think ...