Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Aite Breagh

As a youngster I had the opportunity to attend the church summer camp at Orangedale, Cape Breton. All of our family attended this camp and all had the same basic reaction. This camp , although church funded and directed gave we kids the opportunity to be together with about 100 others of the same age and engage in activities so inviting that you never forget the experience.

Bible study, morning watch, breakfast and then activities. Morning watch was a time when you go some place alone and think about your place in the group, your home, the world and your relationship with a higher power. I used this time to try to imagine who God was and the role he or she would play in my life. Even then I had difficulty in perceiving God as a power which would send his son to earth to save your soul and make it possible that you could get to heaven. As a 12 year old this was a heavy duty chore. I tried and never reached the point where I was comfortable with the concept.

Sports and water events allowed us to forget the lofty ideals and to be kids again. Ten days of this and the camaraderie developed at meal time and campfire brought us so close that departing was a painful experience and there was not a dry eye when we departed to our homes. I personally attended this camp for 5 years and it left a mark on my life and stirred my curiosity about all things philosophical. My major at university drew me to even more questions than answers.

Today with every child coming in contact with religions and culture so different than our own there are options.Young people could be well served if the camp model could include not only people who think alike and practise a similar cultural way of life but include people with diverse backgrounds and cultural mores. This would enable our young people to function in our multicultural society secure in their own beliefs, but accepting others openly.

Aite Breagh meant bend in the river or lake, and it prepared us for what was around the bend in real life. I shall always be grateful for that experience.

1 comment:

  1. Most people who attended camps, whether religious or secular, enjoyed the activities and the camaderie. My children went with friends; and still now as adults, when they get together, they talk about those activities very fondly.

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...