Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Driving down a road well travelled

Returning to territory you once travelled offers rich rewards for those who choose to let their mind do the driving. 55 years ago I left my home in Cape Breton to make my way into the unknown experiences that would frame my life. Through the years that followed numerous adventures and challenges drew me further from my roots.

Every year with an odd exception, I - like the birds who fly south for winter - am drawn to once again to go East to the sea for a recharging of my mental and spiritual batteries. On my yearly journey I have no expectations, no goals and no plans for what will take place. The closer I get to the sea the more excited I become, and new energy emerges. I feel freer and step with a quicker pace.

My mind returns to older times and visualizes long gone events with remarkable clarity. Every turn of the road paints new pictures from old happenings. My wife is overwhelmed from hearing the same experiences repeated yearly. My mind somehow corrects wrongs, forgives bitterness and writes mental pictures that satisfy my need for happiness. Whenever a negative idea creeps in there is a rejection of this invader who wishes to ruin my perfect memory.

The pilgrimage is never complete, and the journey has to be repeated year after year. Something occured this time which made the past pattern only a memory. With sudden clarity, I realized that this need to relive my past and to examine the life issues was an expression of a life not yet satisfied with what I have achieved, and a need to develop new credible, achievable goals for the future.

For the rest of my journey I shall enjoy the scenery, the friends, and the life I have lived, knowing that the next time I pass this way, I shall have achieved other interesting experiences.

On a road well travelled you can look back, or you can look ahead ... I choose to look forward.

1 comment:

  1. Great Choice! Going forward will get you to somewhere new and interesting ... even if you have to look for it :)
    wcn

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...