Monday, November 9, 2009

Tai Chi

For the last thirty years of my life I wanted to do Tai Chi. Tonight I did that. I enrolled in a course for the winter hoping that this discipline would help my flexibility and agility. I saw a detraction in these phases of my otherwise perfect ability to do almost anything.

I attended the first session of my new life saving course and arrived on time. There were two people there as I was early and I sort of moved into the area and assessed the situation. Six was the time that we were told that the course would start and I was surprised that only three people moved into the area of operation.

The instructor called the class to order and I entered. A middle aged man was in charge and two elderly ladies made up the group. I introduced myself and moved to the far end of the room away from the mirrors.

Mister began the group session with some unusual movements which I thought were intended to get someones attention. It did and he stood in front of me and asked me of my experience in Tai Chi. I put up my hands and said I was a virgin and he addressed me as such and the session was in order.

Try to do something with your feet and arms when looking at a mirror and oh so embarrassing. I asked for help and he did give me some individual help and I worried about his intentions because he showed me moves that were really quite interesting.

The hour went quickly and I did get through two forms and I felt I did well but the master said I should practise often during the week and come back with an open mind and a desire to really be a Tai Chi person.

I missed supper for this lesson as it was given at 6 pm and as I returned home and I opened a can of beans and told Theresa I would go back for the second lesson. Those mirrors made me feel very much the outsider but I also felt better after the 75 minute workout.

I may never become a Tai Chi expert but I will have a great experience doing something I thought about for thirty years. Getting old is difficult but fighting it is really an experience you should never regret and take as a challenge.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Pops -- what a laugh! Something tells me you were misbehaving in class. Kind of like me giggling in Yoga class with my daughter. I admire that you are trying something new ... I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I hope you like it and continue. Tai Chi, like yoga, is as much a mental exercise as a physical one - I laughed at the instructor's seemingly astute comment '...an open mind and a desire ...'
    wcn

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...