Monday, November 2, 2009

Fleamasters

Florida is known for its flea markets and no trip to this state would be complete without a visit to one of many such interesting places.Our flea market brags about its size and ability to satisfy even the most difficult client. How things have changed.This several thousand booth enterprise has deteriorated into a shadow of its former self. Theresa and I were amazed at the change.

The 3000 car parking lot was not half full and the active selling stands were all but empty. Many of the high end full time players in this market were nowhere to be seen. The numerous citrus and vegetable vendors were represented by a measly few. The most prolific vendor was the dollar store variety which lacked the intrigue of the booths that called you in to discover your treasure.

Yes there were twenty slots set aside for selling three dollar watches, comic shirts and baseball caps were still available. The fifteen golf shops which offered full service services for the most hard to please person were now a handful. Ladies could buy shoes and clothing items or jewellery but the place lost its vitality, glitz and its beckoning call to leave happy and come again.

We know it is all about the economy and it really showed. In the outdoor section of the market many poor families parked their trucks and cars side by side and tried to sell their second hand wares with little success. I felt sorry for these people represented by a whole family trying to interest people walking by to look at their offerings. While Theresa was looking for something special I walked through this area and was approached by many young children trying to interest me in buying small items. I was there to find a bird feeder and one young man went helter skelter to fill my need with no avail.

Meeting Theresa at the fruit stand where we buy oranges by the half bu for juicing I felt a little depressed about the market and the country which in my estimation has sunk to a low level. The economy will return in time and all will be rosy some day but in the interim I see the very poor becoming more like the pictures we saw during the great depression.

This is a negative blog but that is how I felt and on the upside we did buy a clock for the kitchen, watch batteries, a set of wrenches and a bag of oranges. We spent fourteen dollars and no tax and had a two hour time mostly together so all in all it was a good day.

1 comment:

  1. Living in the midst of economic problems like this, I've saw things deteriorate slowly over the last few years. I guess I honestly haven't noticed (at least not in a dramatic way) as much as I should. It is sad though, to see some of the places I once loved become a joke of what they used to be. Like you, I'm hoping for better days ahead.

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...