Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Away From Family and Friends.

Years ago when I left home to move to Temiskaming to be principal of a school and play hockey I felt very much alone. I lived in the White Oaks Inn which was a staff house for employees of the International Pulp and Paper Co. I was 19 and felt that I could take on the world but something was missing. Family. The only communication that I had with my family was through letters and the occasional telephone call.




To say the least I was lonely at times. Today Theresa and I choose to live in Florida for half the year. We miss the almost daily contact with family and friends we have when living in Ontario. We do have some good friends here and socialize with nice people but this never takes the place of your own family.




Today we have great telephone plans so we are able to talk for hours. We have face book and see and read of activities almost as they are happening. Visits from the family and friends help to keep us in the loop but it is not the same. The great benefit derived from living here in Paradise is the weather and the downside is the reduced interaction with those who mean the most to you.




Flying home at Xmas is our next big trip and already we are thinking about it. There is a sadness to life for people who have no family or real friends. We are double blessed because we have both, a loving family and great friends.

1 comment:

  1. We miss you too -- and nothing replaces the personal visits. But like you said, there is a price for paradise -- but in the long haul, I think you would agree that it is well worth it. Live there in the moment and enjoy. We'll see you soon ...

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...