Thursday, November 5, 2009

Ask for Help


Ever since I returned to Florida I had problems with my sprinkler system. I was responsible for constructing this six zone system with a timer so I could meet the requirements of the City Watering Policy.There are always problems like a few sprinkler heads being cut off by grass mowers but this year it was more.

I use Orbit products out of Salt Lake City and have been really pleased with the service.This year I planned to replace three valves to my central manifold and after installing I was unable to get the system working through my central timer. For longer than I can count I tore the system apart and put it together. I want to Lowe's where I bought the product and their expert was of no help.

I enrolled Theresa to go over the wiring to the timer and she completely re-programmed the system.Nothing worked. I am a very patient person,I believe but some would differ, and was ready to call in an expert to help. I saw the $125 bill and waited for a day. This am I went out again and looked at the box the valves came in and there was a phone number from Salt Lake City.. I ran into the house and told Theresa I was going to phone the Mormon and get Devinne guidance. I took the phone, my bag of tools and a chair outside to work beside my system.

I dialed the number and after six options I punched in the section called help. A man answered and he quickly realized I called before three years ago. After a joke about Mormons and small talk he got me on track and asked what the problem was. In so many words I told him the problem and he asked if I saw the little arrows on the new valves. I went cold and thanked him for the help.I just realized that I installed the valves upside down. Five minutes later I had the system on line.

Men don't ask directions nor in this case seek help from experts until the last desperate minute.I just realized that I fit into that ordinary slot of men who are afraid to ask directions. That will never happen again and feel so silly for the previous 70 + years.

3 comments:

  1. So, I have to wait until my man is 70 before he will ask for help? I have so many stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad! Will wonders never cease! I can't believe you are admitting this. Very funny story and I am glad you learned an important lesson - there is no shame in not knowing the solution to every problem. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Learning is a lifelong venture - way to go!
    wcn

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...