Friday, November 27, 2009

Black Friday

The biggest shopping day of the year in the USA is black Friday.This day falls on the day after thanksgiving and traditionally stores give the best sales for the occasion. About 20% of the years shopping dollars are realized at this time.

Stores open as early as midnight and every hour after that. This year I was shopping for a external hard drive to back up our computers. The choice was attractive but the store opening for my choice of store was six am. I quickly dragged myself out of bed and arrived just at opening time. There was a long lineup and I had to patiently wait for my turn to get in the store.

It was a mad rush to the display case where hard drives were displayed. There was not one that was advertised at the sale price. A mob of people were giving the sales clerk a hard time as he explained that they had a limited supply at that price but there were hundreds at a higher price. Unhappy customers grumbled but there was no violence.

I had a backup plan to go to Target which was also in the mall area and get the item I wished. This parking lot was jammed and the store likewise. I managed to get to the display counter and again I was disappointed as none of the sale items were available.I searched the area and finally found the hard drive I came for. It was $10 more but still a great price.

I arrived home just before 7am with my prize. Every year I say I will not get involved in Black Friday shopping but the lure of a bargain gets me motivated.Usually my partner comes with me as she is the greatest bargain hunter but this year she decided to stay in bed. She did her early shopping during the week and decided to pass on this outing.

My wish this year is for the merchants to do well so they can stay in business and stimulate the economy. By the looks of our malls and the activity there it will occur.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...