Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Up Up And Away

Today I had a wonderful experience with an older gentleman who flew B 24 bombers during WW11. The Callings Foundation is an organization which strives to maintain a presence with the public in the history of air combat from the wars. They have the only B24 ( Liberator..flying fortress) in the world and tour the country with it to show the public. They also have a B17 and a P51 Mustang which take people up there for half hour flights.

I have always been a little crazy about flying and went to see the planes at Ft. Myers. I was up and early being the first one to get to the gate. I was met by a Lt.Col who was one of the guides for the day. I was given a personal guide through all the planes and sat in all the seats that I could fit in. As large as the planes were ,there was little space for the occupants or crew. This 85 year old man scrambled up those ladders and through the small hatches and after taking a look at me suggested that maybe I would not be comfortable in the belly gun station. He was correct as I couldn't get in and was afraid that if I did I would never get out.

He flew 30 missions over Germany and his aircraft never suffered damage from enemy fire but he did straggle home on two engines because he had to close down two engines to preserve gas. He hit a head wind and his squadron lost three aircraft because of mother nature. He had so many stories and after an hour or so he took my picture in front of the B17 and went his way. I was so impressed with the aircraft but not as much as I was impressed with this older gentleman.

He would make a perfect grandfather and his manner was so gentle it was hard to imagine him as a wartime captain with a crew of ten being fearless in combat. After the war he returned to university to become a history professor. He formally left the air force in England and told me with a grin that he would not fly home unless he could keep the plane so he waited for a ship to return to the USA.

He said he had a fear of flying when others were at the controls and now travels by car, train and any other means except flying.This day was special for me and I picked up some pictures and took many for my grandson who is an air cadet. He also took glider training and wishes to be a pilot when he is through his education. The only thing that would make today better would be having him with me for the experience.

2 comments:

  1. Fly Guy (Polar Bear the third)January 27, 2010 at 5:13 PM

    Hey Grandpa! This was a very interesting post (like all of your other ones!) Sounds like you are having an amazing time down in Florida, I can't wait to see those pictures!

    Pretty sad how there is only one B-24 left in the world, same with there's only the two Avro Landcasters as well...

    I wish I could have been there with you, it must have been a remarkable experience! I guess in the upcoming years I have to fly down to see you all! :^D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like we have alot to look forward to with having a future pilot in the family!

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...