Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Florida Frost

This ten day cold snap across North America is breaking records in Florida. Below freezing temperatures were common last eve and this is just the beginning. I personally covered tomatoes, beans, lettuce and everything I thought would freeze. This morning there was heavy thick white frost over every rooftop and the cars were the same.

We have a well and sprinkler system so I watered early in the morning and probably saved the plants. The temperature of the ground water is about fifty and a half hour of watering warmed up the earth. When I started the sprinklers there was a huge cloud of steam that rose from our garden. It was an experience I shall have to repeat for the next five or six days.

The impact on the Florida economy could be significant if the citrus crop fails. Already the tomato and strawberry crops are in trouble. Some people are saying, what global warming?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...