Sunday, January 10, 2010

Inexperience Cost Me

On a cold day in Cambridge Bay I had the good idea of going caribou hunting to the east end of Victoria Island. The word from pilots was that the animals were moving near Cochran point. This was a favourite crossing for part of the herd going south for winter. I planned to go with a Inuit friend but he decided to stay home

Buck, my faithful dog was ready for the task. We loaded our kamatik with all the necessities including the extras in case we had a problem and would have to set up camp. I packed two of everything and brought 20 gals of extra gas. I put de-icer in the gas as the temperature was about 40 below and with the wind it hovered around 55 below. This was not unusually cold but on a snow machine travelling at 35 mph it felt a little uncomfortable.

Buck rode in the kamatik and I took the ocean route until it became too rough because of the pressure ridges. I avoided the pernamium off the point and headed inland. Sixty miles had to be travelled before I would reach my hunting area.

Everything was going well and I saw three Arctic hare which excited Buck and I had to wait for him after his futile forage to catch one of these agile rabbits. We continued and the wind came up and visibility became non existent. Local Inuit say that you should stop and wait under these conditions but I was only 15 miles to the cape.

I managed to keep course until suddenly I was thrown from my machine. I hit a large snow covered rock travelling at 15 mph. After I gathered myself I discovered I lost a ski off the snow machine. After examination I realized I was in trouble. My kamatik was overturned and some of my supplies were scattered. I quickly gathered them and repacked them and tried to think.

I knew I should make camp and try to jury some form of ski for the trip home. I also knew I should prepare for the upcoming storm. Buck was worried and sat by the broken ski so I decided to work on a repair plan. With wire, some bolts, rope and wood splints I began to feel a little better. Buck watched the effort and sympathized with me when I blew hot air through my hands to keep warm. Basically I was very worm with my caribou leggings and fur coat and hat. Only my hands were exposed and I was in pain.

Suddenly Buck perked up and gave me that look. He heard the hoof on rock sound of caribou approaching on the run. I grabbed my rifle and loaded it with a new clip and waited. I had to control Buck so I gathered him in to me and told him to be quiet. He was and the animals came even closer. By the sound there was a small family herd of a dozen or so. Suddenly they stopped and began to walk. They passed within thirty feet of us. As they passed they paid little attention to us so I bagged two. Off they ran and the reason was a pack of wolves were following.

This worried me even more as these hungry wolves might think my game was fair game for them. Buck began to bare his teeth and snarl. He was half wolf and had a hate for wolves as he was attacked by them only last year. The caribou disappeared and so did the wolves. The wolves numbering five were hunting and never gave us a look.

Now I had to prepare the animals and pack them in the kamatik. I gave Buck a good feed but he only ate some and buried the rest. Now we were off for the trip home. The jouried ski worked well for a while but after a few miles I had to re do the job. This was the pattern for the next 20 hours. My eagerness to get out on the land made me break one of my cardinal rules . Never go out alone when the weather is bad. This time I was lucky and Buck and I arrived home the next day at seven in the evening.

I was scared for a while and lost for a while but managed to get home because of the strobe lights on the Loran Tower. I shared the fresh meat with friends and elders and made a promise never to repeat that inexperienced decision again. I kept the promise until the next time I didn't.

1 comment:

  1. Polar Bear, this is scary stuff. You are one lucky fellow to live to tell.

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...