Thursday, January 28, 2010

Horses Come Before People

As a youngperson growing up with a father who always had horses and loved them I learned a lesson the hard way.On a very cold,damp, November day I was getting a load of shore coal from the Cranberry Beach. The wind was strong and I was ill prepared for the turn in the weather. My horse Charlie and I had good luck with the coal and were making our way home when the cold wind became a gale force event.

We were about two miles from home and I was freezing. I usually rode the wagon but I was so cold that I jumped off and ran along beside the horse. This helped but my hands were so cold that I could hardly hold the reins. In cold weather we used rope reins instead of leather as they felt warmer. Our trip home seemed like an eternity and I was thinking of getting to the house and putting my hands under warm water to bring back feeling.

We finally arrived at the gate and I threw the reins uver Charlies back and began to run to the house. My Dad was in the barn and shouted for me to come back.Always take care of your horse before you think of yourself he scolded. Not knowing my condition he had me take Charlie from the cart and in the stable. It only took a minute and I quickly fed him with oats and hay. A bucket of water and I was off to the kitchen and under the tap went my hands. Mom cautioned me to use cool water but I knew best. I paid the price as my hands began to come to life. Come to life indeed as I experienced the most dreadful pain.

That day I learned not one but two lessons.The first was to look after your horse first and the second was that Mother knows best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...