Thursday, October 17, 2013

Odds and Ends

Yesterday Theresa and I decided to get busy and cleaning up odds and ends before the winter sets in. Firstly we still have several bushels of apples to use or take care of. Since it was raining out we decided to convert some of the apples to pies. We made six and bagged them and froze five.

I needed to go to home depot and get some manure so I drove to the store and they were fresh out.I had to go to the green house and they had plenty and at reduced rates. I took 8 bags to be sure.While there I looked among the one hundred or so trees for sale to see if there was a peach. No luck so another year goes by with no peach tree.

Pulling out the last tomato plants and finding you have twenty pounds of green and half ripe ones causes me stress. I cannot throw anything away so I plan to ripen them in the garage and have fresh tomatoes until Xmas. I could not bring myself to cut the pepper plant as it is still producing and I will cut it and hope to have it grow again in the spring. Our Swiss chard always comes up in the spring so I mulch it well and hope for the best. Every two weeks the yard waste is picked up and we have been putting out a lot. This week we will have filled all our large drums and half a dozen bags. We should have been pruning and cutting back the cedars years ago. Our Yew tree has grown a little too tall and the back has died and I have to do something with it. I will give it a good clipping and if it does well in the spring everything will be OK.


Throwing things out has been a problem with me but this year I have been downsizing the clutter in my garage. Old camping gear and things I will never use again have to go to the Salvation Army so I can begin my winter project. This winter I will build a canoe and it will be a challenge with the colder weather. I will have to put off the fiber glass until spring. I am tired just thinking about all the little jobs but they have to be done so I might as well enjoy the fun of getting things done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...