Sunday, October 27, 2013

Hidden Treasures

For the past weeks I have been searching through my pictures and papers to find appropriate inclusions for
my latest book about my educational experiences. Many boxes and albums are set out and as I sit quietly to look through the collection I realize that this is no small task. Each picture has a story to tell and each paper note or letter demands attention.

I begin to stroll through years of personal history and get lost in the past and leave the present. Hours go by and I have not even looked through the first small box. Items such as a name card brings me back to an event from the early days of my life and my brain quickly begins to show pictures which I had hidden way back there in the dark recesses of my mind and I once again relive the experience.

This short snippet coming from my past shoots out an emotional response and as the hours go by I am a wreck impacted by the images thrust upon me by these objects. Pictures and letters are powerful reminders of how it was in the past and as I continue my journey I am treated by shared hidden treasures. I look through my personal junk quite often and when people tell me to de- clutter I wonder if they realize that they are asking me to throw away my history and record of what was once reality. I live in the future mostly but love these reminder of the past and shall hold on to my hidden treasures.

1 comment:

  1. I hear you! So often I start to look for something amidst my "treasures" and end up completely sidetracked as I relive memories attached to the various artifacts. These little notes and treasures are gifts that keep on giving, providing happiness and good feelings that endure forever. Keep 'em! :)

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...