Sunday, October 20, 2013

Jacuzzi Adventure

After two days of rainy , miserable weather I had a visit from my nemesis Arthur, arthritis that is. With the weather conditions we had aches and pains returned to every part of my old bones and I really missed going south. My answer to the situation was to have a good soak in the Jacuzzi.

Our Jacuzzi is not used very much but I decided it was the answer. These large tubs are not designed user friendly. They are large and high off the floor and made of the most slippery material known to man. They cause older folks a challenge just getting in. Before entering I turned up the water heater as Jacussi's take more than a tank of hot water. That being done I tried to be as graceful as possible to get in without slipping and to turn around to be able to sit down in the now very hot water.

Before attempting to sit I added bubble bath to the hot water and was immediately treated to a massive bubble explosion. I left the tap running to keep the level of the water in question until I was finally placed safely in the tub.Slowly lowering my aching body into the water was a challenge as the water was way too hot so I tried to adjust the temperature by adding cold water while safeguarding my entry. Carefully I lowered myself into the water and instant relief became a reality.

I was now stretched out ,up to my neck in hot, soothing water and the best was still to come. I never really knew how to adjust the controls on the tub but the noise of the bubbling machine was a welcome addition to the process.I lay there in utter comfort enjoying the feeling of the pain leaving my body when Theresa came to check to see if I was OK. I was and returned to the joy of the hot bath.

After twenty minutes or so the water began to cool and I decided to get out of the tub. This was another challenge as the slippery surface made it almost impossible to turn to get on my knees. I finally managed and then a fear of slipping and falling caused me to be very cautious. I had to lift my bad right leg out of the tub but that tall ornate tap was just in the way.

Theresa  entered just in time to help my balance and I escaped the tub to be safely on the bath mat and the welcoming warm towel. I still had to face that image of seeing myself in the mirror and that brought reality home that I was no longer 21 years old. I dried off and in the warm confines of my housecoat I felt that satisfied and safe feeling reserved for times of personal satisfaction. I moved to my comfortable chair in front of the TV and watched the hockey game already in progress. That half hour did wonders for my arthritis but I wondered if I could stay awake for the game.



1 comment:

  1. I remember the first time you (two) used the tub when you first moved into your home -- an adventure of another sort -- bubbles to the ceiling! Glad you found some relief.

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...