Friday, October 11, 2013

Football Mixup

The weather was perfect and my daughter informed me that Troy was to play high school football at 12 O'clock in the nearby school. I have been waiting for this call for some time so I gathered up my camera, sports chair and a bottle of water and rushed to the field. I parked and realized that the field was on the far side of the school but I decided to walk anyway.

When I entered the playing field I was surprised to see several hundreds of spectators already in place around the field. The music was playing and the players were playing a practise but there was no sign of the officials. I waited patiently and soon a rumor passed through the crowd saying that the officials were going to be late.

I began to take pictures of the players and after an hour I realized that when they said late it was going to be after 2 pm before the game would start.I had some errands to do so I left and came back just in time to see the officials start the game. I was looking for number 1 and it was not long before he was called upon to kick a field goal. I think it was over thirty yards.

Troy is a smaller football player but plays large. He is an excellent athlete and plays every ame with the same dedication. As a safety he is the last line of defence and he has to stop players nearly twice his size. Every time there was an opportunity for Troy to make a play he did and I was very proud of his effort.
The football fields in Oakville are mostly professional standard with artificial coverings but at this school the players enjoyed the game on natural turf. When I played university ball fifty years ago not one of the fields had artificial turf so we had the benefit of fewer injuries.

Troy's team lost by a couple of points but the game was played hard and clean and Troy was my pick as first star.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...