Saturday, April 20, 2013

Some Times You Are Lucky

We went Grouper fishing yesterday 65 miles out into the Gulf of Mexico. The weather forecast was for 2 foot waves and wind at 5 to 10 mph. We began our adventure with calm water in the sound but as we entered the gulf  the north east winds made our trip very rough. Waves of five and six feet soon caused some of us to get very seasick.

We headed out to water that was fifty feet deep to catch bait fish which were plentiful and half a pound in weight. Fifty bait fish were caught with difficulty as the boat rocked and rolled.. We decided to go out to 130 feet and 65 miles from home in spite of the water being in a rough condition.

Three hours later we arrived at our location and began to drift fish. I was fortunate to hook a grouper in the first minute and it proved to be the largest for the day. A 30 inch,14 pound beauty. Right there my day was made. The boat was so rocky that it made fishing almost impossible . After several hours and three legal fish we decided to go home.We caught sharks and smaller grouper along with several varieties of fish but overall it was not a good day for us when it came to keepers.

Going home against the north east wind was very difficult and it took four hours to get home. I was a little sad that this would be my last day deep sea fishing for a while.There is never a bad days fishing as true fishermen can accept the fact that some days there are poor catches. I believe that the presence of the sharks scared of the Groupers off.

As we divided our catch there was enough for every one to have a grouper meal. Theresa and I are going to share ours with good friends tonight. I will have the memories shared with my friend Carl who invited me on so many great trips on the gulf and taught me the the secrets about catching this delicious white fish.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...