Thursday, March 29, 2012

Budgets

At this time of the year the word budget is on the lips of everyone who is part of the budget process. Federal, provincial, state or municipal bodies are struggling with huge deficit budget concerns. Everyone who runs for office claim that they are for smaller government, balanced budgets and cutting the debt load of their jurisdiction.

Soon after being elected the pressure from those who helped you get elected begin the process of payback politics. Few have the guts to actually make the decisions required to honor their promises. Social issues must be carried out; workers must be paid and cuts become very difficult to make.

I have observed political matters for many years and the only way that politicians will make the proper decisions is to legislate their behaviour. A law requiring balanced budgets would force those in power to become creative and learn how to spend the available tax dollars in a appropriate manner.

When I first ran for public office I was given two minutes at the nomination meeting to state my case. I was second last in a group of more than twenty and the crowd was getting smaller by the minute. I decided to make my speech a one liner. I stated: we don't need to elect people who will dream up ways to spend the tax payers money but rather to elect people who will use the available dollars in a wise manner.

I was elected that year and many more and used that one liner every time. I would love to hear our leaders say something like that today. There is an end to reckless deficits and it is not good. Let's hope our leaders have the fortitude to rein in useless spending and put our house in order.

Italy, Portugal and Greece have found out the hard way and it could happen here. Canada is doing better than most but more has to be accomplished before we are safe financially.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...