Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Box Garden

Since I am not permitted to have a real garden I decided to go with a pot or box garden. Ten large pots with excellent soil was the start of my plan. Lettuce, beans and tomatoes became the crop which would become edible in our short stay this year. I planted this garden three weeks ago come Friday. There was almost an instant response as the lettuce and beans as they popped out three after watering.





The tomatoes were 5 inches high when I planted them and as of now they are covered in blossoms and there are a number of small tomatoes forming. I should have ripe tomatoes by the 10th of April. The Amaryllis grew to a large size during the summer and when I cleaned it up and replanted it the sprouts grew several inches every day. These flowers have eight flower heads on each stem. This is the sixth year for them and I really love the size and colour. All the rest of our garden is having perfect weather for spring growth.

I should be in good shape to grow a real garden when I return to Ontario. It seems there is no winter in the north this year and the south is many degrees above average for this time of year.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes the garden in the containers is the easiest way to go all the time. Tomatoes in pots are a lot easier to take care of as they are not ground level.

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...