Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Winter Wonderland

After a winter of summer like weather we arrive in February with a little change. Last night we were blessed with a snow to the tune of about 10 cms. This morning everyone on our street were out pushing the light snow from our driveways and sidewalks. What a difference in attitude when we finally felt we were in a Canadian winter.

The temperature this morning was above zero and by noon 8 degrees above freezing. Our snow will last for a few hours but for a short time we were happy. I never saw too many small animals this last while but with the snow we saw many tracks and the rabbits and other little animals are on the move. We in Oakville are in a very active area for coyotes. There have been contacts with the animals during the past few months. These animals are one of the most adaptable  in Canada and here they are mixed up with the wolves and are slightly larger. They are normally a social animal and do not impact our lives but we are taking over so much of their habitat that contact is inevitable.

In my spring garden I observed my garlic growing at a fast rate and now covered with snow it may survive.I shall be going to Florida in a few weeks but I am so happy to have the opportunity of seeing some of the white stuff before I get used to the sun and warm weather.

This week I received news that one of our old friends from the Ottawa Valley has left the hospital after surgery and I know he will love to see the white landscape in one of Canada's most beautiful areas to help him get well . Get well quickly European Les.





1 comment:

  1. It is nice to have the chance to see the winter season but you will really enjoy Florida I am sure.

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...