Thursday, January 5, 2012

So I Am 75

When I was a young person I thought 75 was the age of an old person. This morning I realize how ridiculous I was in my youthful judgement. The physical body maybe could use a tune  up. I am slower crossing the street, take longer in the bathroom, eat mainly what I want and not what I need and spend too much time in front of the TV.

For all that I still feel great and look forward to the next 25 years. Some advice my Dad gave me when I was a young man leaving my home in Cape Breton back in the early fifties didn't pan out all that badly. He told me to pick my friends slowly and carefully. Trust those who meet your scrutiny and always watch your back.When it comes to women he said be aware of girls who cannot dance; you would never be happy with them. There is no job too big or too small so make sure you always have one. For protection in Montreal, he said to carry a sock half full of sand -it makes a wonderful weapon and is not illegal. Lastly, remember your family and real friends; in the end they are the only ones you can truly trust.

This might seem like funny advice but it worked. I have many friends with whom I started school and still maintain close ties. During my venture into life I have done nearly every job imaginable, from garbage collector, tobacco primer, teacher, coroner, mayor, store clerk, farm work, father, horseman, JP, and many others. I never was too proud to do my best at every one of these chores. The money I received from this work supported myself and my family.

Throughout my years I have been selfish insofar as I used many of the family resources to get ahead in life. I did not portion my time fairly and too often neglected my family and used their time for my personal interests. This is my greatest regret. The time I shared with my family and friends was indeed golden and made the moments all the more memorable.

Public service was always a part of my makeup and I saw need everywhere. I picked my spots to make a difference and along the way circumstances made it possible to meet many people and situations which enriched my life. Always I was, and still am, aware of the influence of my wife and family and the acid test for my actions was if they be proud of what I accomplished.

Every life has high and low points and I am a person who has experienced both. As an emotional person who tears up at weddings, at hearing our national anthem, and family gatherings, I have over the years tended to stay out of the limelight and delegate others to carry the load. As a young person I was given two afflictions which framed much of my public life. I had a terrible stutter and lisp from birth. This caused me to have a struggle every time I had to read aloud or speak publicly. This was worse as a young person and I became extremely shy. A number of teachers aided me and some pushed me into a hellish place where I was ready to drop out. The good prevailed and I persisted and in a way was challenged. Prime Minister Lester B. Pearson had a lisp and on graduation day in 1964 he presented me with my university sheepskin and we smiled during our brief conversation as we lisped together at that moment.

There are many things that make me happy...watching the sun come up in the morning... seeing my family all together and getting along... driving to Florida with a great partner to share all the wonder on that 2300 km drive... gardening... attracting birds to our houses in the back yard... phone calls to friends and family.. . just being alive at 75, and looking forward to every day.

A few things which depress me include: world hunger, aboriginal living conditions, women's rights, governments who don't govern honestly, religious groups who want to change the world, and bullies throughout the world, be it in school or in the UN, wars over oil, and our environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...