Monday, July 25, 2011

Remembering Elwy Yost

For years I watched this iconic host of movies shown on public TV and admired his ability to make his comments fun and challenging. I happened to be appointed as a member of the advisory board for public TV representing Eastern Ontario when the opportunity came to host a meeting in Pembroke. It was in the middle of winter and the roads were covered with snow and ice when the meeting was to take place. Everyone managed to attend but a surprise was added when Elwy made an appearance.

The meetings were concluded and I invited Elwy and his assistant to come to my home for some refreshment and activity. I learned that he had never had an opportunity to take part in one of the Ottawa Valley's winter sports, snow machining. Elwy arrived at our home and was greeted by my wife and family and brought down stairs to our recreation room. Elwy was a very tall man and he presented a different picture in life rather than the man on TV.

He was interesting to talk to and admired the many objects in my collection of trivia. He entertained us for quite a while before I approached the subject of trying his hand at riding on a Ski Doo. He met the challenge but outfitting a man of his size could be a problem. I had a 2xx snow suit and boots that matched and he was a good sport and decided to give it a try. He and his assistant dressed with clothes we had on hand but the helmet was a problem. Elwy had a large head and we could not get a helmet to fit. I placed our largest one on his head and with a quick push managed to install the helmet over his head.

Outside it was 15 degrees below freezing and 10pm. We were used to this type of entertainment but he was surprised we would go out at night. I drove my Ski Doo and Elwy sat in a sno bus. This was a sled which was pulled behind the Ski Doo. Off we went for a 45 minute trip through narrow passages and along country roads at a fast clip. I stopped every so often and checked to see how he was doing. Only the look on his face told the story. He loved it but I returned before we froze any vital parts on Elwy. As we arrived home we had the problem of getting the helmet off his head. To say the least it was a comical sight but an uncomfortable one for Elwy but we managed.

Re entering our rec room all he could say was WOW what a ride. He and his assistant were great sports and before leaving we had pictures taken and thanks expressed as only Elwy could do. I managed to meet Elwy only once more in my life but he had the ability to meet you once and make you feel you knew him all your life. Elwy passed away this week and he will be missed  but for me and the people there that night of reckless abandon , he will not be soon forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...