Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Going Home

It is 4.30 am and I am up.I hope to go home this morning. Everything is very quiet so I collect some towels and facecloths from the supply closet nearby. I will attempt a cloth bath in my tiny bathroom. Standing on the cold terrazo floor , naked facing a sink full of hot water seemed like a good idea.

I began to wash the hospital off my body being careful to keep the dressings dry. I realized I smelled like an active puppy or worse so I used all my sense of balance to try to reach those 200 places which could be easily be overlooked.I was interrupted by my curious nurse who wanted to check my vitals but I asked her to come back a little later.

There was one nurse for every two patients but in my case she only had to watch over me. I continued to complete the mission in half an hour but in my own shower it would have been 10 minutes.I was clean and I was making my last hospital signature a good one.

My Dr came in at 6.45 am to release me and he was pleased with my progress.He checked me over and signed the release form and assured me I would get priority status for my return. He also added a comment to the nurse saying she could change the dressing. She rolled her eyes and said yes Dr telling him non verbally that she knew her responsibility.

My nurse gave me extra dressings for 10 days and covers so I could shower as well as a staple remover. Theresa will have to remove the 22 staples in my back after 11 days from surgery.After breakfast Theresa will come and take me home.

I want to see the garden and tomatoes specially as I always like to have a red on before the 12th of july. Orangemans day. I am very happy to be alive and ready for living again.

1 comment:

  1. Henry, I loved your outline of your hospital shower and those '200 places' scenario. Most of all I am SO happy to hear you are going home where you can fully relax and enjoy the blessings of home and loved ones. Welcome home.

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...