Monday, July 11, 2011

Fly Away

Every year Theresa and I have a host of bird families which take up residence in one of our several bird homes. This year was no exception and we have seen three families move safely through the life cycle.Ordinary house sparrows love our houses and stay with us all summer. One house had the distinction of harbouring three families in one year.

I was able to place one of the bird homes on a long pipe so the squirrels could not climb up and do their damage.As the house was almost across from the bathroom window it was a good vantage point to observe these little creatures. The attentive mother who literally worked herself almost to death to the equally attentive father who helped as well became great examples of family. He seemed to do the nest cleaning routine and provide food as well.

Many people do not wish to have these common birds occupying their bird houses but their morning song makes it all worth while. I believe we have a song sparrow amoung the group and at 3.30 am the singing begins and it is sunset before the last note is sung.

We glean a great deal of entertainment and satisfaction in having our own birds in our own houses.In Florida we have the mocking bird and it rivals any bird for singing and interest. We are fortunate to have the joy of bird watching in both of our living areas even though they are not the brighest colored or most rare, common is good enough for me .

1 comment:

  1. I like the house sparrows also. I think that any bird that can find a place to nest on my property is welcomed. I like watching them in the winter when they feed at my feeder.

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...