Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentines

Surrounded by ladies all my life I can hardly forget that special day, Valentine.I wish  to express my love to all,  starting with a 93 year old Mother-in-law, my wonderful wife, three daughters and eight grand children I have ample reason to feel loved  in return. Remembering those old days where my sisters would buy those valentine books which kept them busy cutting out the cards for friends at school days before the event.

Choosing the right card for the right person and listening to their mother expressing concerns that everyone should receive one.Big  cards for best friends and so on down the line. One year when I was in grade four our teacher Mrs. Jean Robertson ( one of my best teachers) brought frosted cupcakes for everyone in the class. We were thirty eight and some in our class were very old for that grade.

Before recess she called the class to order and expressed to us her deep feeling for we the students and gave us our treat.It was the first time I heard a teacher tell a class that she loved us and loved being our teacher.She was exceptional and had a positive influence on me. Sometimes the little time it takes to express feelings pays off. In that large class I am sure that it was the first time the word love was heard with such a resounding impact for many in that class. After recess she had us write about love and the person we loved the most. I never saw the results but I am sure mothers would have been prominent in that category.

Through my years in education I tried to influence my staff the importance in conveying the bond between teacher and student. Years later when meeting students they will express feelings about their teachers and will say how much they loved Mrs. so or Mr. so.

So today on this day of love take the time and express your love to someone who is important to you or someone who just needs a pick me up.

1 comment:

Ï'm interested in what you think ...