Thursday, February 24, 2011

SHUTTLE DAY

Perfect weather greeted the brave astronauts who will be making their last voyage on this space vehicle today around 4pm. I wished to go but could not motivate my wife to come along as she thinks there are always delays. I have to agree to that. Years ago when I was living in Sarasota there was a night launch. I decided to go at the last minute and raced across the state. The launch was to take place at 10pm but with small delays it actually left the pad at midnight.

It was one of the greatest thrills I ever experienced as the rockets heated up and the vehicle left the ground. I was lucky to get to see the show as I was late on arrival and a state trooper stopped me and said no more cars were allowed closer to the site. I explained my circumstances and he offered to let me stay put along the side of the main road as long as I would remove myself a few minutes after launch.

The noise was deafening. The bright light was brilliant and the smoke trail was spectacular. Everyone close beeped their horns adding to the noise and clapping could be heard from the throngs of people crowding the area. I had a camera with film but my pictures never turned out as I should have had a filter. I watched the rocket lift slowly at first and turn on its back and gain speed. It was a clear night without moon and it made the scene even more spectacular. Every eye followed the trail of smoke and fire until it finally disappeared into darkness.

That scene will be forever embedded in my mind. My son and family went to see a launching some years later and experienced the same feelings as I did. TV is great and the commentary helpful but it does not give you the true picture of a Shuttle Launch. My thoughts are with the astronauts and families who must be concerned during these hours before the main event. Fly true and safely on your voyage to history.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...