Monday, December 6, 2010

Skype

Most people do not get excited with some of the modern technology but I for one am amazed at most if not all the new communication technology. As one who had limited experience with computers in the workplace other than as a retrieval service now feel lost if I don't use some form or another every day.

I was introduced to Skype when we bought a new computer and it came with a built in camera and other features that were new to me. With the help of my literate grand daughter we managed to set me up and I have been excited about it every day since. Through this media I have really connected with a long time friend from across Canada to the back woods of Cape Breton . My friend has Skype and now we are able to actually have conversations with a picture to match.

The extra connection makes our long range conversations come alive and more frequent. It is amazing to me that we have come this far so quickly and that older people like me have embraced the technology. Yes there are a few that say they will never use or need a computer but that is because they fear failure so run away. For the many who now use the latest devices it has enriched their lives and brings the whole world into focus. For the ones who have lost their mobility the Internet becomes their way of experiencing life vicariously.

The only problem with Skype is that you have to make sure you are properly dressed and for the ladies to make sure their lipstick is on straight. For all the people who made these magical miracles reality I salute you for making life just a whole lot better for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...