Sunday, December 12, 2010

Frost Warnings


With frost warnings for the south west I have to prepare a defense against the enemy. Two massive cold waves have hit the USA in less than a week and has played havoc from the Arctic to Florida. The farmers here have battled the elements for years but the last three years have presented challenges never seen before. It seems the every wave of Canadian cold breaks new ground and records tumble. This Sunday, Monday and Tuesday will bring temperatures in the twenties in the interior and low thirties along the coast.

I am taking no chances so I went to Home Depot and purchased materials to build a frost barrier. After a few hours of work I have a covered garden complete with sprinkler system to take care of my tender vegetables when I am away. I had the misfortune of losing all my above crops last year as well as the bananas and papaya's. I was able to replant but the season was shortened and I was unable to benefit from the produce.

Mother Nature constantly reminds us of her power and we must work with her to be in tune with our environment and be successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...