Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Craftsmanship

As a young boy I was happy to make things out of wood using an ax, handsaw, hammer and a spoke shave. A coping saw came later and I used it when I had blades. My efforts were pretty crude but I continued until in my middle age when I graduated to rocking chairs, benches and boxes and large wood objects. These items never reached the point where they displayed a title of craftsmanship.

A few days ago one of our friends came to stay overnight and during his visit he displayed about a dozen cheese boards. After we admired and commented about the quality of the product Don offered Theresa the opportunity to pick one out for us. Theresa had a difficult time in choosing because all were so beautiful and so well crafted. Finally she picked one out and we will treasure it and use it to highlight our table when we have guests.

Don gave instructions for the upkeep of the wooden board and left a note to identify the woods used in the production. Our board is made of Lyptus, Maple, Mahogany and Birds Eye Maple.

I admire people who are able to create a piece of art from nature's bounty. We collected many treasures over the years and this one is special.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...