Friday, December 17, 2010

Detroit Red Wings


I have been a faithful supporter of the Detroit Red Wings since 1947.In that year we used to listen to hockey broadcasts with our home made crystal sets. My brother Murray had the first crystal set in our house and showed me how to build and use this device. The reception on a clear winter night could have given this device it's name as it was crystal clear. The truth however is that the crystal gives life to the radio waves and in our mind magic.

Hockey games on the East Coast ofter were late as the hour different in time zone meant nearly midnight game endings. We would have our ear phones on and listened to the games without anyone knowing except we who had the earphones.

Detroit became my favourite team when a Maritimer named Hollett made the team and I never wavered since then. My friend from the Valley is also a believer and we have a mutual admiration society for the Wings. This year this well balanced team is leading the league it its division. We probably like the Wings because they keep their team together and have a balance between old veterans and new blood. They have without a doubt the best defence in the league made up pf one player approaching 44.

With the cooler weather and the world junior championships being played in Buffalo over the Xmas holidays how could you not get excited about Hockey. I believe that my loyalty to The Wings has kept me in good stead over the years as you learn to roll with the punches. Many years they were on top but some years they were rebuilding. I think they have some special source of power as depicted by this picture I caught the other day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...