Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Cabbage Rolls

Late in the fall I had a tradition of making sauerkraut and cooking cabbage rolls. Making the kraut did not bother me but my family really hated the smell which lasted quite a while. I used to make three kinds and each took a different length of time to cure. One year I used my sons third floor bedroom for the process while he was away at school. Unfortunately he came home for the weekend.

With the cabbage not used to make the kraut I used to make a large batch of cabbage rolls. I lived with an elderly lady when I was a young principal just getting started in the education business. Although she was over 80, she and her son - and later me - made kraut every fall. I was not used to the German food but learned to like it so much I acquired a special taste and interest in its preparation.

For the cabbage rolls I used a German recipe and later I modified it somewhat so it was more like Polish. Tonight we are having company as our neighbours are coming for supper. They are from Cuba originally and have special tastes of their own. In our food preparation I decided to make cabbage rolls while I had the urge for cooking. This time I used the slow cooker and hope all would be well.

The joys of cooking can only be matched by the joys of tasting you own homemade specialty foods. Since my family here are not fond of these comfort foods, I shall have to freeze most of them and feast on them when they are out shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...