Saturday, August 17, 2013

Nice Visit

For the last day and one night we were treated to a visit from our kids from Ottawa. Shawna and her mother and my number two daughter were in Toronto working to get the accommodations ready for school opening.in a couple of weeks. We had time to talk and gossip and to be brought up on the latest plans for the coming year. Shawna is a university student and beginning her second year.

One of the treats they brought with them on their visit was a brown box from Ikea. This box which was quite heavy was a work desk for the apartment. Dar thought it would be a good plan for Shawna and I to put it together.It is just a simple item to put together. Well we all know that there is no such a thing as a simple Ikea construction job.

Regardless we went to the garage and opened the box. Carefully packed were twenty pieces of pre- engineered wood and a bag of over a hundred screws of five sizes. A few other funny looking items made this job a puzzle. I asked Shawna if she could read instructions and she assured me that she could. So far I was spared the embarrassment of having to actually read these plans printed in simple language. I must admit I rarely read any instructions and sacrifice double the time required because I usually get stuck and have to end getting Theresa to help out with the technical words.

Shawna and I did very well and managed to get the desk put together except for the final top piece. I just did not fit nor did the holes match for the screws or dowels. We studied the plan and solved the problem by discovering that the very first thing we did caused us to turn a board upside down. We took the darn thing apart and put it back properly in a few minutes and congratulated ourselves for having gone a whole hour without a sour note and ended up as friends.In fact I found Shawna to be an excellent work partner and I would repeat the process any day as it was a good effort by  a granddaughter and grandfather working together  harmoniously.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...