Monday, August 5, 2013

A Beautiful Walking Stick

When my eldest daughter returned from a trip to Africa a while back she brought me a special talking stick. The stick does not talk but the person holding it had the floor and everyone is supposed to listen. I was pleased to be given this treasured item as it has a lot of symbolism for the people of Kenya. I hope she did not give it to me because I talk too much.

Today she returned from the wilds of Parry Sound District and brought me a walking stick. A hand made and carved stick, stout enough to keep me upright if I stumble and beautiful enough to cause people to inquire as to it's origin. I loved this gift because Theresa and I were just about to look into making a good walking stick for our evening walks about in our neighbourhood.

First I get the talking stick, then the walking stick, and I can only imagine what comes next. Only she knows, but I will be thankful for it if it is as useful as the previous two gifts.


1 comment:

  1. Somehow those authentic "tools" borne of indigenous peoples seem to suit you. You have the soul of one who comes from the earth; you are indigenous. These symbols are meant to honour the inner warrior that is you! Sticks to help us talk and walk better. I could really use t a sleeping stick... :)

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...