Friday, December 2, 2011

Guest Post: Notes from the Ward

I think the gold star treatment he has been getting on the spinal ward must be pretty good, because Pops seems to be really comfortable in his surroundings. He calls his nurses by name and they are barely out the door before he can tell you where they live, their educational background and other personal tidbits about them. I shouldn't be surprised; he is a people person after all.

Tonight when I walked into the room I saw my good old dad smiling back at me. He no longer looked like a vulnerable patient, although I know he still needs lots of help reaching for things. That leads me to the two "grabbers" he has tucked in close beside him that he uses to pull up his blankets and pick up things. They look like formidable weapons!

I asked him if he had any message for this guest post and he smiled and said, "write that in the beginning the concern was all about spines and nerves and now it is all about bladders and bowels!".

And on that note, I'll close by saying how proud I am of his progress. He is weeks ahead of where he expected to be and is a superstar yet again. Nite Pops. Don't let the bed bugs bite!

Hey - no hanky panky: he can't bend, reach or lift for 3 months!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...