Saturday, December 31, 2011

Cold Day In Ikaluktutiak

I was looking in my notebook for a spelling check and noted a item which brought back some fond memories. It was on December 18th and the weather forecast was for a storm moving in to our community within the day. At 5.30am it was hard for me to get excited but the weather was always important as I had responsibilities. First that cup of hot chocolate to help me wake up to the total black landscape and howling wind at 30 kms with a temperature hovering around minus 40.

My mind was on travelling home to see my family and I was counting the days and if all went well I would be on my way on the 20th. With the storm I was somewhat worried. I pushed open the outside door and managed to shovel the hard snow from my step. A whistle brought Buck, my dog out of his sleep under the snow and he stood stiff and tall and shock himself several times to clear his brain and fur of snow. He bounded up the stairs to the landing and after a pat and he always stood up and placed his paws on my shoulders and tried to lick my face. I hated this and let him know but rewarded him with a hind leg of a muskoxen. He retreated to the ground and began his meal.

I closed the door and realized that the barometer had dropped out of sight and maybe we were in for a big one. Still droopy I opened the fridge door and was greeted by a half Arctic Char left over from supper and began to eat it with home made corn bread and molasses. I felt better. I radioed the weather station two miles away and received the news I dreaded. Definite major storm and we were to take maximum defensive positions. Dispite the hour I called off the water and sewage trucks for the time being but made sure water was added to the hotels, nursing center and airport. It now read minus 65 wind chill.

Our radio station now broadcast warnings for the public and a snow day for the school and all non essential workers. I donned my heavy clothes and went by snow machine to hamlet office. The foreman of each dept. knew the drill better than I and prepared for a several day blizzard. Three of our people were out on the land and could not be reached by radio and this concerned us. The RCMP were on alert and together we made a quick check around the hamlet to make sure there were no tracks leaving the area.

Everything seemed to be set but I always felt responsible and worried a little. I left the hamlet office and went home but all radios and telephones were kept open. By 10.30 am the wind was a brisk 60 km and wind chill hovered around 8o below. At this temperature we did not want anyone outside. We patrolled and found that to be the case.A aircraft heading to Arctic Bay sought to land at our airport and as the visibility was fairly clear  the 737 made a perfect landing on the snow covered strip. Eleven miners were on board and were put up in the co.op hotel. We closed our airport.

Without water delivery it was important that everyone conserve water for at least two days. People knew the drill and everyone was OK. Since this was my first emergency I took great comfort from having my 2ic there to aid me.The snow blew into banks that were as hard as ice and up to the eves of the houses.Reports came in with problems with furnaces and water freezing but this was covered by workmen. All day
and that night the storm raged. The sound was
horrific and sounded like a huge animal bellowing as it tried to tear away the walls of the houses. Objects flew by in the wind and caused a danger but with no or limited light nobody stepped outside. By next morning the storm broke and when the wind slowed down everyone in the hamlet went outside and viewed the results. Loud chatter and calling to neighbours about how they managed the storm took place and it added a degree of excitement. Shovels, front end loaders,tractors and graders were fired up to open the streets and the road to the airport. With only a dim light from the sun lights were everywhere and it was an eary sight to view the activity being carried out by everyone in the hamlet.

I made a radio broadcast saying that a feast and games would be held at the rec center at 3pm and everyone was invited.Food was prepared and rec staff had music and games ready as a steady stream of people flooded the rec center. Musical chairs, step dancing and arctic games prevailed and musk oxen burgers, biffy and dried meat was produced and eaten by the people. A few seals and two caribou were cut up for the elders who enjoyed the raw meat and shared with the young ones.



We closed up the rec center at 10pm and everyone went home full of country food and happy for the experience. Inuit take adversity as a challenge and an opportunity. This was a lesson learned by me while there up north in the High Arctic.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great read. I think it was a time that gave you real life experiences that really did shape you as a person. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...