Sunday, December 11, 2011

Final Words On Hospital Life before Xmas.

Fifteen days in a mans life may not seem like a long time but what occured during that time can mean everything. I will give a few facts and figures which will tell much of the story. I was attended to by two chief Dr's. who performed the surgery.Twelve other Dr's. had a hand in the process as well as in the recovery. I was housed in three different rooms in two different departments. The spinal unit kept me for one week and then I was in re-hab for another week.

The re-hab week was a bonus because I had a small blood clot. I was taught how to dress myself, wash myself, get up and down without flexing my spine and how to walk with a walker and a cane. Managing steps was very important and was supervised every time by at least one if not two people. I was cleared after every session with a test and a colored sticker was placed on my walker. Since you walk on the day after your surgery it is important that you protect the gift you just received.

I walked 4500 meters during the days I was there and climbed 580 steps. I was attended to by no less than 14 different nurses and every one was just great. I never had a slice of bread nor and egg during the entire time I was there but the food was good for hospital food.

I kept these facts to keep me focused but in the end the fact that stands out is that not a cent was passed and I received world class medical attention from a system that cares for we Canadians. I am proud of the way I was cared for and thankful for the opportunity of a life changer.

1 comment:

  1. So interesting to put your experience into numbers. I predict thst esch passing day will bring you closer to comfort and full mobility. Florida will not be far off!

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...