Sunday, June 12, 2011

Shameful Bragging

We  just arrived home from Florida after a few days at our winter home.We were being cautious about the security of our home as we left in a hurry and maybe less attentive than usual. Everything was in order so our journey became a holiday. Every day the weather was perfect if you call over 100 degrees acceptable. We were in the pool many times and with the humidity being OK we had a wonderful week.

While there I was talking to one of my golf partners and decide to play one game. Without my regular clubs and equipment I gathered up some irons which I kept from bygone days. I had no woods so I borrowed a driver from the club where I played during the winter. No glove or golf shoes made my chances of having a good day was slim. Jokes were made about my clubs as I had 10 clubs but three of them were 5 irons. I just grabbed any left club and was off. The jokes ended on the first hole as I had a good drive and chip and ended up with a boogie.

We play greenies where the person who gets closest to the pin on par three's and pars the hole gets a dollar from all the players. If you win all the greenies you are rich as you come away with $12. In regular play I won a few of these and won some money with the regular game. My score to win had to be 12 points. This day I collected 21 points and nine tenths of the pot. My share was $36 and was the best I ever did. I was plus 9 and with that score it became my best recorded score for all time. I ended up with 7 pars and a birdie with a gross score of 83. My best score up to that time was 89.


Since this will probably be my last game for at least a year I suppose I can say it will be the best game for my life. I will have my back operation on the 30 of June. This will put golf away for a long time and maybe forever. To have this last game in my mind will we reassuring and I am sure the score and descriptions of this event will get better with age. I kept the card and the cash and hope to invest it in my next game sometime in the future. Forgive the bragging as it was one of the only times I had anything to report in a positive way about my golf game. For me every day of playing golf is great...even when you don't keep score.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...